The PLRI Biosignal Lab provides various mobile and mounted devices for (biomedical) signal and image recording in order to develop and directly test methodological approaches for analytics and integration of these signals. The use of sensors in the home, in the vehicle or on the human body usually generates biomedical signals with poor signal-to-noise ratios, offsets and data gaps. Particular challenges are faced with respect to reliable and robust recording, secure transfer, and semantic integration of this data. In addition, automatic data analytics requires particularly robust algorithms.
The sensor technology of the Biosignal Lab is also used in teaching students in all stages from signal generation to signal analysis in practice. At PLRI students can learn medical signal and image processing on their own data. In this way, the theoretical knowledge from the lectures can be effectively implemented and intensified in the exercises.
The BioSignal Lab is equipped with several state-of-the-art mobile signal recorders and medical imaging devices:
- Accelerometer: Consensys Development Kit by Shimmer, several Smart Phones
- ECG recorder: ME-80 by Beurer Medical (1 lead), Kardia Mobile ECG by AliveCor (1 lead), MyDiagnostick by MyDiagnostick Medical BV (1 lead); Consensys Development Kit by Shimmer (4 lead), CardioSecur Pro by CardioSecur (14 lead)
- EMG recorder: Myo Gesture Control Armband by Thalmic Labs (9 channel)
- EEG recorder: EPOC+ by EMOTIV (14 channel)
- Digital photography: CAT S60 by CAT (integrated FLIR thermal camera), Samsung K-Zoom (integrated optical zoom lenses in 3 groups); Moto 60+ by Motorola (stereo camera)
- Ultrasound imaging: SonixTouch by Ultrasonix Medical with Quantum Plus and SonixGPS 3D magnetic tracker
- Angiography: Arcadis Varic by Siemens (C arm of 190° orbit)
In addition, the Biosignal Lab provides:
- FPZ 3D by SPACECURL: Three nested rings of steel encompass the entire human body in all spatial axis. The device allows precise measurement of the function of the human balance system.
- Variotrainer 500 by Ergoline: The training bike with integrated display measures pulse, load, speed, energy consumption, and time.